Thursday, March 21, 2013

It's Not About the Money

I was recently speaking with a man about writing and the necessary promotion thereof, and I made the comment that I would be much happier if I gave away 10,000 free copies of my novel that would each be read and loved than if someone bought 10,000 copies and shut them away in a warehouse never to be looked at again.

The man was surprised. Why would someone prefer the former over the latter? Shouldn't making money be important? Writing is, after all, a business.

The fact of the matter is that I write because it is what I am meant to do. I write so other people may read and enjoy my stories. I write so that I can touch another human heart and make someone gasp and exclaim, "Me too!"

Of course, it is not feasible for me to give away 10,000 copies of my stories for free (even though I would love to be able to do that!). I paid to be published rather than go with a traditional publisher, and every copy that is sold helps me regain that cost. I have yet to turn a profit--but that's okay! The dozens of positive reviews and comments I've received have shown me that people ARE enjoying the stories. And that, my friends, is the most important thing of all.





Have you read The Land Beyond the Portal? Hop on over to Goodreads and leave a review!
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11476658-the-land-beyond-the-portal

1 comment: