Friday, January 27, 2017

The Reality of Being an Indie Author

It's 2017.

By this point in time, I have published four novels (one currently out of print) and sixteen short stories. It has been a wonderful journey, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

But here's the reality of being an indie author:

In 2016, I drove 4,927.2 miles to and from events promoting my books.

I had $4,560.41 in sales from my books.

I spent $5,317.47 on inventory purchases, editing, formatting, advertising, Square fees, shipping, and other book-related expenses.
Yay inventory purchases!

Before taking the cost of mileage into account, I was negative $757.06 in 2016, which is actually less money than I was negative in 2015.

Goal for 2017: Don't spend so much money, and sell even more books!

Some other facts:

If I had not attended the Realm Makers Conference in 2016, I would have broken even, but Realm Makers was a blast, so I'm glad I went. Where else could I have dressed as the TARDIS and hung out with geeks?



Also, I spent nearly $600 on advertising alone. This year I'm going to budget myself better and try to be more strategic with any ads I pay for.

Lastly, I'm going to try to cut down on my mileage a bit, doing more local events if I'm able, including the 2017 Cincinnati Comic Expo, for which I have already reserved a booth.

What about you?

1 comment:

  1. And the sad irony is that most of us are sitting here hoping to be as successful as you are some day. ^_^

    ReplyDelete