Thursday, June 23, 2022

What a crazy year and a half it's been...

What a crazy year and a half it's been.

I used to throw everything I had in me into my writing career. I churned out 1,000 words a day, did book signings every weekend, and trekked to far-off lands with magical names like "Minnesota" to  peddle my books at comic cons.

At the beginning of 2021, I ran my first-ever Kickstarter campaign and was happily plunging into the first draft of Dalton Kane Book 2 when my mental health took a complete nosedive. I felt like I was losing my mind and didn't know why, which was an incredibly scary thing. I started taking sleeping pills and anxiety medication in the hope I would start feeling normal again.

About a month after I started losing my mind, I found out I was 7 weeks pregnant, which meant that my abrupt shift in mental health was due to pregnancy hormones. Yay science!

Mr. Bailey and I had been trying to have a child for 10 years with no success. I was thrilled to be pregnant but also terrified--my first pregnancy in 2010 ended in a missed miscarriage so in my mind, pregnancy was associated with nothing but disaster. I had a lot of emotional baggage to sort out last year.

Summer of 2021 was me getting used to the fact that I would soon be a mom. The pregnancy had no complications but I felt miserable, and anything to do with my writing career went out the window. I only wrote a handful of chapters in all of 2021.

And then my sweet Baby Bee arrived! And she's been growing and growing, and now that she's half a year old, I've been trying to slip back into my author role again when I get the moments to do so. I still haven't started working on Dalton Kane Book 2 again, but I'll get there someday.




No comments:

Post a Comment